The school district is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on School Improvement through AdvancED. A quality assurance team, consisting of 5-6 members from both in state and out of state completed an on-site review of the district's five year self-study. The study, which began fall of 2012, was conducted with the assistance of school and district personnel, parents, and community members. Five teams of stakeholders studied the district's progress toward the five AdvancEd standards for quality school systems:
Standard 1: Purpose and Direction
The system maintains and communicates at all levels of the organization a purpose and direction for continuous improvement that commit to high expectations for learning as well as shared values and beliefs about teaching and learning.
Standard 2: Governance and Leadership
The system operates under governance and leadership that promote and support student performance and school effectiveness.
Standard 3: Teaching and Assessing for Learning
The system’s curriculum, instructional design, and assessment practices guide and ensure teacher effectiveness and student learning across all grades and courses.
Standard 4: Resources and Support Systems
The system has resources and provides services in all schools that support its purpose and direction to ensure success for all students.
Standard 5: Using Results for Continuous Improvement
The system implements a comprehensive assessment system that generates a range of data about student learning and system effectiveness and uses the results to guide continuous improvement.
An exit report was presented at a special called Board of Education meeting March 13, 2013, at 2:00 PM.
The district’s six-member external review team noticed several emerging themes:
- Dedicated teachers who are truly vested in the whole child
- Collaboration and shared values among staff and community
- Forward thinking –proactive thinking and planning---recognizing new challenges that are coming---embracing the future
- Piloting of PARCC assessments for the state
- Procedures in place to monitor instruction---aligned---engaging---checks and balances
- Outcome-based planning process
The team also noted several of Camden’s powerful practices:
- District leadership is committed to shared values and beliefs about teaching and learning. This is clearly evident in documentation and decision-making.
- Camden County Schools Board of Education provides appropriate oversight that allows autonomy of school district leadership.
- Camden County School System demonstrates strategic resource management that includes long-range planning in support of the purpose and direction of the system.
- Safe, clean, and healthy environments for all students and staff are clearly maintained and are a source of pride for the community.
- In spite of economic constraints, Camden County School System has designated instructional time, material resources, and fiscal resources which are sufficient to support the purpose and direction of the system.
- Camden County Schools Board of Education has been recognized continually as a Board of Distinction by the Georgia School Board Association (GSBA).
- System and school leaders use consistent procedures to monitor instructional practices.
- The system provides a technology infrastructure and equipment to support teaching, learning, and operational needs.
Vision, Purpose, and Beliefs